I’ve been a fan of the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet Book by Dr Michael Mosley for a few months now and although I don’t follow it quite as strictly as the book suggests, I have lost 1 1/2 stone and my blood sugar levels are now in ‘pre-diabetic’ status, so it’s definitely working… Foody Friday: How Reducing Carbohydrates has helped start to Reverse my Diabetes!
When I saw that there is now an 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book, which has been brought out as an addition to the original Diet Book, I decided this was a ‘MUST PURCHASE’. I bought it from Amazon (I’m not affiliated) for £7.00 (RRP £14.99.)
I’ve had a look through the book and the recipes do look quite tasty and for my first Recipe Test Review, I tried the Spanish Chicken with Chorizo and Beans. It was easy to make and only took about 15-20 minutes (max) to prepare and around 50 mins to oven cook.
I really enjoyed it however…. hubby complained of a slightly bitter taste…
If I’m honest, I suspect that was my fault and not the recipes as I ‘slightly overcooked the onions’ (ok – I burned them….)…..
…….. Onions – Take 1 ‘burnt’! …… Onions – Take 2 – Not burnt!
Obviously I didn’t admit that I’d got distracted with some ‘blogging catch up’, while I was also ‘slaving over a hot stove’… so I blamed the bitter taste on the lemon juice!! (Don’t tell him!!!)
Bonus: Hubby felt guilty for criticising his meal, knowing I’d SLAVED over a hot stove all afternoon (I told a little white lie about that too.. oops…), so now he’s creeping and cleaning the kitchen …. LOL!!! It’s a good job he doesn’t read my posts….
Apart from the burnt onion (… say no more..), the recipe gets a
……….. Thumbs Up!
Oh yes – the recipe also suggests using boneless chicken thigh, which I would have preferred… however my hubby is ‘fussy’ and is a ‘breast’ man, so obviously being the ‘caring wife’ I did it with breast …(well – the truth is I only had ‘breast’ in or I would’ve used thigh!!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 x small chicken thighs or in my case 2 chicken breasts
- 1 x chopped onion
- 2 x cloves garlic – chopped
- 1 x teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 x sprig of fresh rosemary
- 85 gram of olives (I’m not keen on olives so left these out… however I’m sure if you like them these would really add to the flavour)
- 400 g tin of chopped tomato
- Juice of half lemon
- 400 g tin of cannellini or haricot beans (I prefer cannellini) – drained and rinsed
- Chorizo Sausage – The recipe said – 2 Chorizo Sausage… this sounded a lot to me so I only used around 3/4’s of a sausage and it was enough to give some added flavour and I think add more if you’re a big fan of chorizo otherwise stick to the lesser amount… decisions, decisions….
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degree C.
- In a heavy bottom casserole heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the chicken all over.
- In a separate pan gently fry the onion, chorizo, herbs and garlic (according to the book ) – and here it’s a question of Do as I say and not as I do – “DON’T BURN THE ONION… be gentle with it if you want to avoid complaints of a ‘bitter taste’!!!”
- Transfer the mixture to the heavy bottomed casserole dish and add the tomatoes, olives, beans and lemon juice. Bring it back up to the boil and then transfer to the oven and leave to cook for 50 minutes
- If you’re following a low carb diet, you could serve this with a selection of roasted vegetables or as I did with some courgettes chopped and fried ‘gently’ in some olive oil, flavoured with garlic. I also sprinkled some toasted pine nuts over the top…
- Alternatively if you’re not following a low carb healthy eating plan, you could add a serving of potatoes chopped into smallish pieces and roasted in the oven with garlic and rosemary..
Tip: My niece recently told me that if you eat pine nuts without toasting them first, this can come back … as a very nasty after taste…. so beware!! Personally, I’ve not experienced it myself but my niece did and assured me it was very unpleasant!
I’ll leave that thought with you – I had to listen to the gory details and suffice it to say…. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want this experience!!
ADENDUM …… Whilst cleaning the kitchen, hubby noticed the BURNT ONION PAN! Oops!!!!!!
I’m sure I’ve posted somewhere previously about being ‘honest’ and ‘taking responsibility’…. My sins have finally caught up with me….
O OH now I’ve got some creeping to do!!…. Any suggestions on how I can get myself back in the ‘good books’ gladly received!